Friday, May 25, 2007

Joy Ride

I've never been so enamoured by a piece of metal machinery as I am with my brand new Trek 1200 bike. How often have I mocked those who become slaves of their machines, fussing over them, cooing to them, taking the pains to scrub every corner to squeaky-shiny perfection! But as they say, laugh while you can, for once you get roped into it, you will find yourself fawning the same.
It took 5 bicycle shops, 4 trips to Seattle, a multitude of test rides, 3 adjustments and a dark rainy evening. But now she stands proud in my living room. And I look upon her with affection, approach her with caution and promise myself that this is going to be one hell of a summer :)
Like running, there's no special reason for me to get into biking. It just seems like a very interesting sport. Learning to push yourself, increasing your stamina and endurance... all in the game.
The first ride around Lake Sammamish (27 mile loop) was on a weekday. Lovely route, not too complex. It helps that I've been running coz I didnt feel like I was dying on the first day. And did I mention that the saddle is so awesome that I didnt even feel butt-sore? I just plain enjoyed it. Except for the fact that I find changing to the top front gear slightly non-trivial, I have no complaints.

And to hear my fellow riders compliment me on how the components are really good only added to the joy of the experience.

Cheers for the bike riding days to come! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home